The trainee will be exposed to unique environmental conditions in the
cities of La Paz (3600m), and El Alto (4100m), with one million inhabitants.
Observations can be made at both sites depending on the project and studies
objective at the time. Also, there are possibilities to perform research
Who can benefit from this program:
- Medical students interested in hypoxia and respiratory physiology.
- Pulmonary specialists.
- Scientists interested in high altitude physiology and medicine.
- Mountain medicine doctors.
Training includes the following, depending on the length of stay and
the research being carried out at the time:
- Respiratory physiology - High altitude physiology - Acute mountain
sickness - Chronic mountain sickness - High altitude pulmonary edema -
High altitude cerebral edema - High tech medical research and health services
- Disease in patients being checked at high altitude : Residents and newcomers.
Organized and directed by:
Prof. Dr. GUSTAVO ZUBIETA-CASTILLO,
- Founder and director of the HIGH ALTITUDE PATHOLOGY INSTITUTE - Chairman
of the Physiology Department - Visiting Professor at the Tulane Medical
School - Lieutenant Colonel in the Bolivian Army. - Co-organizer of the
First World Congress on High Altitude Medicine and physiology, held in
La Paz in September 1994. - Current member of the Bolivian Academy of Sciences.
- Current member of the International Society of Mountain Medicine.
Some of our publications are available here.
Acceptance for the course subject to evaluation.
Training limited to time and space availability.
LANGUAGES SPOKEN: Spanish, English, French. Also, inquire about Russian
DATES OF TRAINING: variable
Great tourism, trekking and mountain climbing available through several
Inquiries, registration and fees: